The Art and The Blade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Art and The Blade

Dungeons and Dragons 4.0 Campaign Group

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Saves for dangerous movement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mikebr99

mikebr99

Saves for dangerous movement Empty
PostSubject: Saves for dangerous movement   Saves for dangerous movement EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Hey!
Targets get a save if a spell makes them move off a cliff or into a
dangerous area... Now that I've got spell focus... Does that -2 penalty to saves
Also apply to the save against dangerous movement?

Tks

Mike
Back to top Go down
Skar

Skar

PostSubject: Re: Saves for dangerous movement   Saves for dangerous movement EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:20 pm

I think the save that is granted by a fall, is more like a death saving throw (is there any rules on this, or is this just a hack?), and things that modify a death saving throw are different than those that modify a standard saving throw.
So, if a monster has +5 to saves, then it doesn't get that +5 when it comes to death saving throws.

That doesn't help us, but that would be my reasoning. But if you wanted to argue the other way, then I'd say that since your spell caused the shift which caused the need for a saving throw, then indirectly it is a spell induced saving throw.
Back to top Go down
Skar

Skar

PostSubject: Re: Saves for dangerous movement   Saves for dangerous movement EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:32 pm

I found this:
Quote :
I was thinking they might update the rules for forced teleportation to keep it in line with other force movement effects. Namely, if you teleport someone off a cliff, that person gets a save to fall prone in a square adjacent to the edge. But it looks like that will be some other time (if at all).
Twist of Space might be usable to put people over a cliff, because they have nothing to grab onto to catch themselves; also to teleport them 15' up, to drop them for another 1d10 damage.
Back to top Go down
mikebr99

mikebr99

PostSubject: Re: Saves for dangerous movement   Saves for dangerous movement EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Don has already let the targets save vs my twist of space spell when we
defended the pass. I'm just thinking that all of my spells have just got harder to
resist ... So shouldn't the forced movement also be harder to resist?

And I've NEVER understood how you can "catch the edge" while being teleported...
You disappear from one square and reapprear in another... I'm not sliding you there.

YMMV

Mike
Back to top Go down
mikebr99

mikebr99

PostSubject: Re: Saves for dangerous movement   Saves for dangerous movement EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 11:54 am

I'm kind of hoping our DM will respond to this question..............

Back to top Go down
donkey

PostSubject: Re: Saves for dangerous movement   Saves for dangerous movement EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 10:25 am

Sure, it reduces the save. However, any monster with a bonus to its save will receive that bonus as well.

Why do they get a save versus teleport? To prevent automatic instant deaths if we happen to be fighting near a high cliff's edge. The whole design of 4E prevents this stuff. In the case of a teleport, I presume it is not grabbing the edge, but simply a resist of being teleported the entire distance.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saves for dangerous movement   Saves for dangerous movement Empty

Back to top Go down

Saves for dangerous movement
Page 1 of 1