The Art and The Blade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Art and The Blade

Dungeons and Dragons 4.0 Campaign Group

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mounts and Forced movement

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Skar

Skar

Mounts and Forced movement Empty
PostSubject: Mounts and Forced movement   Mounts and Forced movement EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 7:56 pm

DMG pg 46.
  • Forced Movement: If an attack that forces movement targets you but not your mount, you can choose for your mount to also be affected, so that you and your mount continue to move together. If you don’t want your mount to be affected, you can be pushed off your mount if the forced movement carries you out of the mount’s space.
Back to top Go down
Skar

Skar

PostSubject: Re: Mounts and Forced movement   Mounts and Forced movement EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Mounts in combat:
  • Actions: On your turn, you and your mount combined can take a normal set of actions—a standard action, a move action, and a minor action. You divide these actions as you wish. Most commonly, your mount takes a move action to walk or fly, and you take a standard action to attack. You and your mount also share a single immediate action. If you and your mount separate, you still share one set of actions on that turn.
  • Attacking Mounts: Your mount can use a standard action to attack instead of you. If you don’t have the Mounted Combat feat, your mount takes a –2 penalty to all its attack rolls.
  • Charge: If you charge, you can move your mount’s speed and either make a melee basic attack yourself or let your mount make a melee basic attack.
Back to top Go down
donkey

PostSubject: Re: Mounts and Forced movement   Mounts and Forced movement EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 12:21 pm

I have given the mount an extra action in some attacks- won't do that in future.

On the other hand, dismounting riders is not as easy as we have done it in the past.

Good find. Please keep linking your references.
Back to top Go down
Skar

Skar

PostSubject: Re: Mounts and Forced movement   Mounts and Forced movement EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 12:24 am

(I'll preface this with the comment that I just finished re-reading the chapters 1-44)
During the centaur attack, mounted Skar was hit with a push 3 attack, knocking him 3 squares off his horse.
Instead, it should have moved the mount as stated in the compendium:
Quote :
Forced Movement: If the mount is pulled, pushed, or slid, the rider moves with it. If the rider is pulled, pushed, or slid and the mount isn’t, the rider can have the two of them move together. Otherwise, the rider is dismounted and falls prone in the destination space of the forced movement.
Back to top Go down
donkey

PostSubject: Re: Mounts and Forced movement   Mounts and Forced movement EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 11:03 am

What happens if there isn't room for the mount? For example, if you are pushed into a square between Chrys and Gardain and the mount won't fit?
Back to top Go down
Skar

Skar

PostSubject: Re: Mounts and Forced movement   Mounts and Forced movement EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 11:11 am

The forced movement would then fail, since

• while I'm mounted, I'm considered to be occupying the space of the mount (i.e. large) unless I choose to dismount because of the forced movement.  
  • The destination must be at least as large as the target, and must not be occupied.  

However, it can push you into difficult terrain without penalty.
Back to top Go down
donkey

PostSubject: Re: Mounts and Forced movement   Mounts and Forced movement EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 11:16 am

I still question that. The destination was as large as the target (you). Just because you are occupying the space of the mount doesn't mean that you are the size of the mount or the mount is the target.

My question is, if the mount won't fit, why wouldn't you be forced from the mount?
Back to top Go down
Skar

Skar

PostSubject: Re: Mounts and Forced movement   Mounts and Forced movement EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 am

Good theoretical. Makes me think Smile

Basically for three reasons
1) The rider chooses the dismount option 'the rider can have them move together' (it doesn't say unless X, Y or Z)
2) The rider occupies the space of the mount while mounted
3) the game dynamics get complicated if you disregard the other points, because you can't identify the origin square, such as:

If someone were to bull's rush a mounted target, to push 1 square. Either the target occupies the nearby square, and a push 1 wouldn't move rider off mount, or target occupies far square, and rider is out of reach of attacker.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mounts and Forced movement   Mounts and Forced movement Empty

Back to top Go down

Mounts and Forced movement
Page 1 of 1